Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Green Team: Collaborative Consumption

How have you changed since we embarked? Why?


Every time I turn on the computer and open up Google Chrome, there is a certain regimen I go through, the certain sites I go on: Facebook, Youtube, Edmodo, PowerSchool.  However, what I realized over time, was that this daily fixation of sites that I go on, had me entertained for about a grand total of 5 minutes.  However, with the introduction of TED.com from Gifted and Talented Seminar II, there is a new site that has changed the way I spend my time on the computer: watching new and ingenious ideas that people are coming up with.  This site is amazing.  I have changed because this site and the TED talks that our teacher, Ms. Mystrena have showed us, have really inspired my classmates and I to really make a difference in our community.  Combined with the recycling about water bottles video called Tapped, and the Collaborative Consumption video we watched, we want to make a difference.  I've convinced my mom to stop buying water bottle cases (in which she would buy in cases of 36)  In all honesty, this class in general, since the beginning of my freshman year, has inspired me to make a difference in my life, in other people's lives, and if only a little, make a difference in the world. 


What have you learned?


Environment.  The World.  Green Planet.  Future.  Mother Earth.  It has just recently struck me that I am getting older (odd feeling really) and the older one gets, the more observant one gets to the world around them.  One's mind starts to get "polluted" with the problems of the planet and the worry-free days of childhood seem long gone.  But can they be brought back?  Not in a weird way, meaning living in my mom's basement when I'm 35, but what I mean is that, if the world had more of the care-free mind set of a kid, it would be a lot easier to fix the world's problems.  This, I think is one of the most important things I've learned all year.  We just watched a TED talk on a truly inspirational teacher who played the World Peace Game with his students and the children in the mere 4th grade solved the hypothetical issues of the world.  It can be found here.


How have you contributed as a team member?


I've helped with some of the letters in this Collaborative Consumption project.  However, in all honesty, I don't feel as if I have completed anything completely by myself, and I really like doing things with projects (I tend to take over).  However, I am currently working on the PowerPoint in which we will be presenting at the Board of Education Meeting on Monday May 9th, 2011.  I am trying to make it as eye-opening, visually and with information, and make it sound as "wallet-friendly" to the Board of Education.  I am also going to go evaluate the trash receptacles at our school, to determine, or get a good idea of how much my school does or does not recycle.  


At this point do you see this becoming something that stays with you? 


Not only have I seen the changes in the way I think, but I know for sure it will stick with me for my whole life.  Every time I throw something away, I wonder where it will go.  Learning a unit like this makes one very conscious of the world's problems.  And that, I think, is a good trait to have, however, I want to try to look at the problems with a pessimistic and optimistic point of view, both a realist and a romantic.  I want it to be a "optopesstic" view on life...not a real word...but can it be a real idea?  I have hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment